Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Curriculum Choices as the school year begins . . .

I have been mulling over curriculum choices and looking through resources to try and determine the very best plan of action for our 2014/2015 school year for several weeks now.  For the first time ever, I have only two students at Long Leaf Academy.  The Princess is beginning the 8th Grade and the Eagle Scout is beginning the 10th Grade.  We've spent the last four years working through an entire curriculum's cycle and now that it has come to an end, it's hard for me to narrow down what I want the focus to be on for this year.

I think I have finally decided upon the following:  (Learning together unless otherwise noted)


Bible/Apologetics
  • GOD and Life Student Workbook for Religious Emblem (Eagle Scout)
  • Apologia iWitness:  Biblical Archaeology, Old Testament, and New Testament
  • We'll also be studying Bible Drill Verses, Key Passages, and Bible Answers.


Economics
  • Economics for Everybody



Foreign Language
  • Middlebury Interactive Languages' German



History



Language Arts
  • Fix-It Grammar



Literature


Math
  • CTC
  • Dave Ramsey's Foundations in Personal Finance
  • Standard Deviants Algebra



Music Appreciation & History



Personal Development/Reading
  • Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris
  • Horsing Around Homeschool Legacy's Once-A-Week Unit Study 
  • No Small Thing by Natale Ghent (8th Grade)
  • My 8th Grade daughter will begin Marriage & Family (a self-designed "course" I've had all of my daughter's work through).  My 10th Grade son will continue reading through the Preparation for Manhood book list (another self-designed course).



Philosophy



Science
  • FTC Robotics
  • Apologia General Science (8th grade)
  • Apologia Biology (10th Grade)
  • Standard Deviants Nutrition



Writing
  • Fortuigence's Essay Rock Star Personal Statement Writing Course (10th Grade)
  • Essentials in Writing (8th Grade)




I know that there will be additional resources added to this list, but this is where we begin.  I'm leaving myself some wiggle room for review items and for delight-directed learning like the Horsing Around Unit Study. This is quite an extensive list, but keep in mind we don't do every subject every day.  Some things follow a Monday/Wednesday/Friday schedule, some follow a Tuesday/Thursday schedule, and others might just be once a week or so.  I'm excited and I think it's going to be a great year.

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. I SO love how you can plan your curriculum around your children's interests! Sounds like a great plan for the coming year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see your preparation for manhood book list and your marriage and family book list

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart with me!