Monday, June 2, 2014

First of the Season -- Summer Squash Yum

My husband came home on Friday after visiting with his mom and brought a bag of squash with him.  She was so sweet to share in her bounty -- and we couldn't wait to eat it up.  I have to admit though that I'd never seen squash that looked quite like this.  I even sent a picture to my friend to see if she knew how I might should cook them.

Our favorite way to cook yellow squash is to fry them, but we also love them sauteed or grilled.  The MainMost and I discussed how we wanted to try these beauties and we decided to fry them right up.  He cut them similar to how we cut eggplant when we are going to fry it.    I mixed up the breading while he heated up the oil.  The results were DELICIOUS.

The green color is how they are supposed to look. Not yellow like we usually get around here.  The Princess says they look like little alien spaceships. Do you have any idea what their real name is?

They have a wonderful flavor -- a little more robust than the typical yellow -- and we can't wait to try them again.  We have plans to grill some, as well.

So, HOW did we fry them?  That's the tricky question because we didn't measure a thing.  I mixed cornmeal with salt and pepper (to taste).  I use self-rising cornmeal mix, but NOT Jiffy.  Ugh.

In a separate bowl, I combined milk and an egg.

We coated the sliced squash with the milk and egg mixture, then dipped it into the cornmeal mixture to get a good thick batter.

In my iron dutch oven, we heated about two inches of canola oil then dropped those lovely squash discs into it and let them fry until they were golden brown.  Once cooked, we drained them on a paper towel covered plate.  Truth be told, we ate quite a few right off of that plate so they never made it to the dining table.

I just wish we'd had more (lots more) to fry up.  We definitely could have eaten them.

Now I can't wait for the next bag of shared squash.  It may be my favorite summer veggie.

But . . . I'm not sure.  I'll have to eat some others to make the final decision. Pin It Now!

3 comments:


  1. Not Jiffy! I do like jiffy cornbread, but haven't ever used it in breading. Your squash looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I think my whole family will like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fried squash is one of my favorite things...right up there with fried green tomatoes! Your recipe sounds amazing and it makes me think I may just make a batch this weekend! I like mine dipped in ranch dressing :P Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love summer squash! Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." Hope you can join us again this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2014/06/try-new-recipe-tuesday-june-10.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart with me!