Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Schoolhouse Review: Who Is My Neighbor? And Why Does He Need Me?

“You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor?  Can you make it salty again?  It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless.  You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden.  No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket.  Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your HEAVENLY FATHER."      Matthew 5:13-16       Photobucket 
You know how much I like Apologia and their What We Believe series continues to be a perfect fit for our family.  We've used the first two books in the set -- Who is GOD? And Can I Really Know HIM? and  Who Am I?  And What Am I Doing Here? in their entirety-- and they have been an amazing addition to our family Bible study time .  {You can read my reviews of each of these books by clicking on the titles.}  The third volume, Who Is My Neighbor? And Why Does He Need Me?, is proving to be just as good as the first two.

Who Is My Neighbor? offers a Biblical worldview of Servanthood in an easy-to-understand format written directly to students.  Although specifically designed for those in the 6 to 14 age range, our entire family is enjoying reading aloud together and we range in age from 11 to 44.  {WOW!  I can't believe my babies are all so grown up.  ;)  And when did my husband hit his 40s?}

    Photobucket         Photobucket         Photobucket 
Many of the components that make up the lessons in Who Is My Neighbor? are the same as we've studied in the first two volumes.  The Big Idea (or main topic) is still the first thing students find when they begin each lesson.  There are short stories and thought-provoking questions that help students dig deeper and make sure that they understand what is being taught.  Students are encouraged to learn Scripture and hide it in their hearts and prayer remains a key component of the study.  One of the new components in this book is the final portion of each lesson.  It is called Encounters with JESUS and includes stories from Scripture that further explain personal encounters different people had with JESUS and help us to understand how very much GOD loves us.  I LOVE being reminded that I am loved by an awesome DADDY.  Don't you?


The BIG IDEAs covered in Who Is My Neighbor?  And Why Does HE Need Me? are:

Lesson One:  Does Anyone Really Need Me? {You can read the entire lesson online.}
Lesson Two:  How Can I Make A Difference?
Lesson Three:  Who Is My Neighbor?
Lesson Four:  Why Did GOD Make Families?
Lesson Five:  What Can I Do For My Country?
Lesson Six:  Why Can't We All Just Get Along?
Lesson Seven:  Who is GOD's Family?
Lesson Eight:  Why Does the Church Need Me?
(The entire Table of Contents is available so that you can see all of the details about what you'll be studying.)

As with all Apologia textbooks, you are also given access to the Course Website when you purchase this curriculum.  The additional resources found there range from section by section explanations and Teacher Helps to games, recipes and recommended readings and movies to go along with each lesson.  {The Family Foot Washing experience was phenomenal but my crew wrinkled their noses at the fish cakes.  We ARE looking forward to making the Apple Stack Cake though.}


The 276-page hardback Textbook is available for $39.00.  This is a necessity for your family.  The 240-page spiral bound Notebooking Journal is $24.00.  (Sample pages can be seen here.)  My son enjoys the crossword puzzles in it and my daughter likes the hands-on aspect of the mini books.  I like having both of them answer (on paper) comprehensive questions from our reading.  I appreciate the Lesson Plans Guide included as well.  It is set up to take about 9 weeks, but because I want my family to really understand the importance of serving others we plan to spend a bit more time with it.  I use the Lesson Plans provided as a rough guide and also allow us to work at our own pace -- incorporating many of the activities from the Course Website.  There is also a Coloring Book available with Who Is My Neighbor?  It sells for $8.00 and as always was claimed by my Princess.  She enjoys coloring the pictures that accompany each lesson. I enjoy the way she listens when her hands are occupied.

Once again, Apologia has captured my heart.  There is nothing I want more than for my children to LOVE GOD and share HIS LOVE with others.  We are all called to be servants -- to be HIS hands and feet.  That means that we have to get dirty and show grace, mercy and love to all.  Who Is My Neighbor? challenges us to be Salt and Light in a world that needs JESUS.  As for me and my house, we accept that challenge.




Photobucket

~Disclaimer:  I was given the opportunity to use Who Is My Neighbor? by Apologia as a member of the Schoolhouse Review Crew.  The opinions stated are mine and mine alone.  I was not paid to share my thoughts and feelings with you.  You can check out the Crew Review and see what other members of the Schoolhouse Review Crew thought of  Who Is My Neighbor?  
HERE.~

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart with me!