Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Who is GOD? And Can I Really Know HIM?

"Then you will know the TRUTH, and the TRUTH will set you free." John 8:32


I absolutely love, Love, LOVE Apologia's new Bible curriculum series, What We Believe!  It has been a privilege to use it over the last few months and I am excited that we will be able to finish the first volume,Who is GOD?  And Can I Really Know HIM?, and move right into the second.  I look forward to studying the entire series with my children.  (Who is GOD?, Who am I?, Who is My Brother?  & What on Earth Can I Do?)

Photobucket

Who is GOD?  And Can I Really Know HIM?, written by John Hay and David Webb,  is a beautifully written (and beautifully illustrated) hard-covered textbook spanning 252 pages of solid Biblical teaching. Beginning with the explanation that GOD IS OUR ROCK -- our foundation for life -- Who is GOD? teaches students the basic truths of our Christian faith in a way that they can understand them.

Each of the 10 Chapters is designed specifically with 6 - 14 year-olds in mind (but can be appreciated and used by older students as well).  Through a combination of fun stories, activities, historical lessons and Scripture, students are taught how to look at the world around them through the eyes of CHRIST -- and not through the lens and music of today's advertising, media or society.  This biblical Christian worldview is exactly what I want for my children -- the ability to discern TRUTH and to desire CHRIST.

The Big Ideas covered in this book about GOD and TRUTH are:

1.  Where Am I Building My Life? (please click on this question to read the entire first chapter for yourself)


2.  How Can I Know What's True?


3.  What is GOD Like?  (Part 1) which answers the questions Does GOD Exist?,  How Many Gods Are There?,  What Does GOD Look Like? and Is GOD a Person?


4.  What is GOD Like?  (Part 2) which answers the questions Does GOD Ever Sin?, How Old is GOD?, Does GOD Ever Change?, Where is GOD?, How Strong is GOD? and How Much Does GOD Know?


5.  Who are the FATHER, the SON, and the HOLY SPIRIT?


6.  If GOD Created the World, Why Isn't It Perfect?


7.  Why Did GOD Create Me?


8.  Will GOD Meet All My Needs?


9.  Why Does Sin Keep Me From Knowing GOD?


10. Is JESUS the Only Way to GOD?


(You can read through the ENTIRE Table of Contents here as well.)

Not only have I used Who is GOD?  And Can I Really Know HIM? with my children at home, but I have also used it as the teaching curriculum for my middle schoolers at church.  I serve my church as Middle School Minister and I have been using Who is GOD? as the core Bible Study teaching for 45 - 50 6th-8th graders on Wednesday nights. I especially like that the Bible verses used are taken from several Bible translations in order to provide an easier understanding for my target audience.  I tell my Middle Schoolers to find a copy of GOD's Word that they understand and to dive right in and fall in love with JESUS through its pages.  MOST of the Scriptures come from the New International Version of GOD's Word, but both the International Children's Bible and New Living Translations are utilized as well.

After teaching the Big Idea each week, we break the Middle Schoolers into smaller groups.  They've had the opportunity to explore the Big Idea with their Small Group Leaders and really dig into GOD's promises.  I've used the extra teaching resources provided on the  Apologia website to challenge my Middle Schoolers to study even more of the Big Idea at home during the week.  They've really enjoyed the weekly challenge and are getting even more out of Who is GOD? than I planned.

Volume One of the What We Believe series, Who is GOD?  And Can I Really Know HIM? is available from Apologia for $39.00 and can be purchased here.  Additional resources are offered FREE of charge with your book purchase -- Teacher Helps and Notebooking Pages can be downloaded and printed out for both you and your students benefit.  A password included with your book will grant you access to that special portion of the Apologia website.  I have enjoyed studying these TRUTHs with my children and look forward to continuing the series both at home and at church.  This is a MUST-OWN book/series for every family!



~~I was given the opportunity to use and review Who is GOD?  And Can I Really Know HIM? as a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew.  The opinions stated are mine and mine alone.  I was not paid to share my thoughts and feelings with you.  I encourage you to check out the Crew Review and see what other members of the TOS Homeschool Crew thought of   Who is GOD?  And Can I Really Know HIM? HERE .~~ Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart with me!