Friday, October 1, 2010

Inspiration and Adventure


foundlingscover.jpg


I am a reader!  I simply love to read.  My mom instilled a love of books in me at a very early age and I have used that love to visit many places throughout my life.  I remember escaping through the wardrobe into Narnia with Susan, running across the prairie with Laura, climbing dark stairs with Nancy and hiding in the attic with Anne.  I didn't just read their stories, I lived them.  When I read, I WAS Susan or Laura or Nancy or Anne.  I was inspired by great characters and that inspiration is just what I desire for my children.

Enter the characters from The Peleg Chronicles, Foundlings, Book One. The first in a Christian trilogy created by Matthew Christian Harding, Foundlings introduced the McBlessings to noble characters while weaving Biblical history throughout the action-packed story.  Biblically-based action and adventure with noble and pure personalities--what more could a mom want?  And to top all of that off, the last 8 pages of the book share Scripture passages to explain that JESUS created us, JESUS redeemed us, JESUS loves us and JESUS wants us to be HIS.  What a beautiful testimony from the heart of the author for our children!

A fictional account of the world after the Great Flood and following the dispersion at the Tower of Babel, Foundlings shares the exploits of Lord McDougal (a strong, relaxed warrior whose physical strength is only matched by his strength and trust in the LORD), his loyal companion Fergus, Gimcrack (a man of Dwarfen descent) and Thiery (a boy who saved the life of Gimcrack).   Maybe because he is closest to their ages, Thiery was the favorite character at our house.  Here's what my 16-year-old daughter had to say about him:  "Thiery is my favorite character because he's a cool kid.  He's resilient and knowledgeable in the ways of the LORD.  He knew a lot  more than I did and used Scripture conversationally.  He took GOD's WORD and made it his very own.   He didn't just "quote Scripture," he lived it.  He was resilient because he was unknowingly going to be  sacrificed and was put into a sick tent.  Instead of choosing a quick death, he  chose to wait out his death. GOD prevailed in his life and when he woke up the entire campgrounds were gone."

Travelling into the world of Peleg with Thiery and his great white wolf Horatio  gave the McBlessings an opportunity to not only read but live an adventure.  Although it is recommended for ages 10 and up,  Foundlings was a wonderful read-aloud for my 9-year-old daughter as well.   It was a great opportunity for history to come alive  in the eyes of  the younger McBlessings and it fit perfectly with our school studies of Biblical History.  As you can imagine, my 11-year-old son especially enjoyed reenacting the sword and dragon fights with his sisters.

zoe_and_sozo.jpg picture by homeschoolcrew

The Chronicles of PelegFoundlings, Book One is published by Zoe and Sozo Publishing and sells for $11.95.  You can purchase Foundlings here and while you're at it, go on and buy Paladins, Book Two of The Peleg Chronicles.   I promise you are going to want to have it on hand due to the cliffhanger ending of Foundlings.

~~I was given the opportunity to use and review The Chronicles of PelegFoundlings, Book One by Matthew Christian Harding.  The opinions stated are mine and mine alone.  I was not paid to share my thoughts and feelings with you.  You can check out the Crew Review and see what other members of the TOS Homeschool Crew thought of Foundlings here.~~

foundlings496x230.png

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart with me!