Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Homeschool Review: Drive Thru History® "Acts to Revelation" #hsreviews #drivethruhistory #drivethruhistoryadventures #adventurelearning


If you've known me for any time at all, then you know that Drive Thru History® has long been one of our family favorites.  We started out watching the original series on television way back in the day based on the recommendation of a homeschooling friend and it still remains at the top of our list -- we happily share our DVDs and recommend Drive Thru History® to others now, too.  I always loved that the videos were so complementary to Social Studies, History, and Geography lessons and offered easy tie-ins to add a little something extra to our studies.  I truly do consider all things Drive Thru History® as some of the very best homeschool resources available.  The videos help make places and events come to life.  They are simply head and shoulders above the rest.  Because we have enjoyed watching the quirky travel epiosodes for years, I couldn't wait to get my copy of Drive Thru History® “Acts to Revelation”.     



Drive Thru History® “Acts to Revelation” is an 18-part miniseries (3 DVDs) that begins right where the last miniseries ended, but stands alone to make history come alive in a new way.  The previous miniseries, The Gospels, chronicled the life of JESUS from the historical landscape surrounding the announcements that a SAVIOR is coming to HIS birth, life, ministry, and miracles.  It was a most excellent teaching tool to learn about and celebrate all things JESUS.  “Acts to Revelation” begins with the resurrection of JESUS and takes us on a journey throughout the Mediterranean region looking at the people, places, and events that launched the Christian faith.  Over the course of more than NINE hours of mesmerizing video, we get a first-hand look at the world of the first Christians.  (For example:  I have read the account of Pentacost numerous times, but to watch it play out onscreen gave me chills.  By the same token, "standing" nearby during the stoning of Stephen made my stomach churn and seeing John in exile on Patmos offers a new appreciation for the meaning of relationship.)


Here are the logistics that I think you should know:  Housed within a hardback cover (pictured above), the 3- DVD set includes a Study Guide broken down for each of the 18 episodes.  The Study Guide contains a brief Summary of each episode, five Discussion Questions to help you grasp each episode (answers to these are found in the back of the guide), a Reading list that points to the biblical text for context of each episode, and a Side Road section that shares more detailed information about one of the places or events discussed in the given episode.  Further logistics that you will find interesting are that the runtime for each episode is between 27-30 minutes long.  This is perfect for a daily lesson and discussion.  At then end of each video, you see the following message:

This show hopes to provide some illumination to the history of the New Testament, but there is NO SUBSTITUTE for reading the SCRIPTURES yourself [emphasis added mine]

Y'all . . . I cannot even begin to tell you how happy that makes my heart.  THIS is what it is all about.  Watch the video, enjoy the scenery, love the journey -- but READ YOUR COPY OF GOD'S WORD.  Obviously, the target audience for the Drive Thru History® videos would be Christian families, but please, please, please feel free to share them with friends and family who may not yet know the grace and love JESUS.  While your ENTIRE family will find something to enjoy in this set, middle schoolers and older students (adults included) will reap the most educational benefit from it.  And please use it as an ADDITIONAL resource with your Bible right there, too.  

That said, let me tell you how “Acts to Revelation” -- The World of the First Christians is impacting me and my personal Bible study.  We are big "series bingers" at my house and I began by watching through the videso on a "play all" setting.  I wanted the big picture and knew that I could watch a few episodes at a time to get an overall look at the history of the New Testament.  That completed, I knew that I would NEED to go back and watch at a slower pace with my Bible open and pen ready to take notes.  From the very beginning when Dave Stotts (he's your tour guide on this journey) establishes the credibility of the primary source of the book of Acts by explaining that Luke was not only a historian, but also an eyewitness to some of the history himself, I was enthralled.

I have taken tons of notes right on the pages of my Bible and I am constantly pushing pause to underline, highlight, and write something else down that I did not know or did not put together from my own reading.  I love being able to SEE the Cenacle (did YOU know that's what the Upper Room is called?  I didn't.) as I read about the 120 followers prayerfully awaiting for their next instructions.  I needed to write notes about the birthday of Christianity—Pentecost — and wanted to add flames above the words when the followers of THE WAY began declaring the words of GOD in their own tongues. May I boldly proclaim the gospel of JESUS right where it is least expected.  May I wait CALMLY to hear from GOD just as those early Christians did.

The middle schoolers at church really enjoyed our studies of The Gospels last year during Lent and I am happy to now share with them The World of the First Christians.  The Discussion questions make small group times so easy for me to put together and they encourage the students to listen carefully as we watch the videos in class.  What I am most excited about, though, is that they are learning why the Bible matters.  Thefast-paced design of the videos holds both their interest and their attention.  They ASK to continue watching and they are LEARNING while they watch.  Drive Thru History® makes GOD's WORD personal and that old Stevie McQueen jeep helps make it real.  My kids now see the Bible in relevant terms and not just as some unappealing long ago text.  That, my friends, is a win any day of the week in my book.


My family has always enjoyed sitting down to watch an episode (or three) of the fast-paced adventures led by tour guide "extraordinaire" Dave Stotts and it has been my pleasure to review both Drive Thru History® – “The Gospels” (The Extraordinary Life of JESUS of Nazareth) and Drive Thru History® Adventures in addition to this new series.   For more information about Drive Thru History® “Acts to Revelation”, please make sure to check out the following Social Media pages:


Drive Thru History

I was given the opportunity to review Drive Thru History® “Acts to Revelation” from Drive Thru History® as a member of the Homeschool Review Crew.   You can check out the Crew Review and see what other members of the Homeschool Review Crew thought of this resource (or just click on the banner below.)



Drive Thru History®


Crew Disclaimer



Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart with me!