Friday, October 12, 2018

Homeschool Review: The Brinkman Adventures, Season 6 #hsreviews #AudioDrama #MissionaryStories #AudioMissionaryDrama #BrinkmanAdventures



I fell in love with the exciting Brinkman Adventures years ago, and I am always looking forward to the release of new stories.  For purposes of review, we received the Digital Version of Season 6: Underground Rising and we couldn't wait to jump in and get started to see where we would be traveling on mission this time.  How perfect was it that this season started us off with a visit to World War II since that is exactly our focus in history this semester?  GOD's perfect timing -- I love it!

Season 6:  Underground Rising contains six missionary stories in just over 2 hours of listening time.  This is perfect family listening for a long car ride together (headed on vacation or to visit family for the holidays?  Don't forget to take your CDs.) or can even be used during your family devotion time.  Listening to one episode each evening would make for some great discussions about how much GOD loves each and every one of us and would be a beautiful way to incorporate mission education and prayer into your family time.   Be forewarned though:  Once you start listening along, you may not want to stop.  And you are definitely going to want to have a map handy to mark all of the neat places you learn about.  In Season 6 alone, we visited the Netherlands, Wisconsin, India, Thailand, and Myanmar/Burma.

Underground Rising Season 6 Brinkman Adventures

Each episode of the Brinkman Adventures is based on true accounts of real missionaries in GOD's service on the mission field.  Although some names and details must be changed in order to protect their calling and keep their familes secure, all of the stories are true.  The stories are active and draw you right into the midst of them.  As we "listen", we "see".  That said, it makes it tough to choose a "favorite" story.   Each and every episode tugs at my heartstrings -- and quite often bring me to tears as I listen.  The first two episodes of Season 6 take us underground in Nazi-occupied Holland where Jewish families need help to survive and episode four reminds us to trust GOD's plan -- even when it takes you far away from home to India -- where you know no one.  Episode three reminded me that I am offered grace because I am a follower of the KING's SON.

Hearing a roomful of children and teens pray to accept JESUS as their SAVIOUR as they begin to realize what unconditional love truly is brought me to tears.  Y'all . . . this is what it's all about.  Only JESUS can change the hearts of people and these audio dramas put us right in the midst of GOD at work.  Following GOD is not always easy, but it is always, always the right path.  I need the reminder for myself -- and I want my children to hear it often.  More than anything else, I desire for my children to give themselves fully to JESUS.  I appreciate the engaging way the Brinkman Adventures encourage us to wholeheartedly follow GOD.  Every time.  Even when we don't see how.

The last two episodes grabbed my attention immediately as they introduced us to Dave and Karen Eubanks -- a Green Beret and Special Education teacher.  My brother is a Green Beret and it was a perfect calling for his life.  Listening to Dave's call to full-time missions was intriguing and I appreciate so much how GOD prepares us for HIS ultimate plan in ways that we least expect.  It is the perfect reminder that GOD works through our lives and only HE sees the big picture.  I also appreciate that when listening along might get tough or intense, the Brinkman Adventures suggest that families listen together.  The gunfire is real, the danger is evident, but what a blessing that the focus is always on the health of the family unit.  These are mission stories that you will want to hear over and over.  They never get old and they remind us what our mission at home should be as well:
Love each other.
Unite in a work for freedom, justice, and peace.
Forgive and don't hate each other.
Pray with faith.
Act with courage.
Never surrender.

One of my favorite things about the Brinkman Adventures is that you can find the backstories of each episode on the website, follow the family blog, and meet the real-life missionary family that the adventures are based upon.  There are pictures, videos, and more detailed information about each person and location mentioned.  This is a great resource that helps us put faces to the missionary stories.  It helps us to remember that they are real people sharing JESUS in real time.

Brinkman Adventures
I especially enjoyed reading through the Real Stories for Season 6 and seeing the beautiful pictures of Omie's special tea cups because I have been an avid collector of all things tea party for as long as I can remember.  Some of my very favorite teacups and teapots (pictured below) belonged to my grandmother, too, and I love holding them close as I remember the stories that she used to share with me.  What a precious memory brought to mind while listening to the first two episodes.


The "extras" provided in the Real Stories section are fascinating and cover a wide variety of information that really makes a huge difference in how you listen to the audio dramas. Don't skip this section.  It is an invaluable resource for your homeschool.  There are videos, recipes, maps, and more.  It's fun to journey along with real-life people as they visit the same places the Brinkman family has taken us.

You are going to want to make sure and check out the Facebook page, too.  I think you'll enjoy the podcasts links and featured articles there that direct us all to a life of on-mission service.

And finally, jump on over and order up some adventure for yourself.  Brinkman Adventures is offering a 10% discount for my readers this month.  What a great way to kick off Fall!  

We love every episode we've listened to and are always anxiously awaiting the next.  This is a the perfect time to share it with your family -- and stock up for Christmas, too.


As always, I'd love to hear how GOD speaks to you through the Brinkman family escapades.  Please, please share with me what HE is sharing with you and yours.  Let's speak life together.




I was given the opportunity to review Season 6: Underground Rising of the 
Brinkman Adventures as a member of the Homeschool Review Crew.   You can check out the Crew Review and see what other members of the Homeschool Review Crew thought of these adventures by clicking on the graphic below.
Brinkman Adventures Season 6 Reviews

Crew Disclaimer
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart with me!