Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Homeschool Review: CTCMath #hsreviews #homeschoolmath #mathtutorials #videobasedmath #onlinemath

CTCMath

We were introduced to CTCMath several years ago when we needed a mathematical reboot and my children quickly adapted to it.  It is always a privilege when we have the opportunity to review and share homeschooling curriculum with you and I must tell you that CTCMath's Family Membership feels like coming home for us.  I feel quite confident that you will love it as much as we do -- and the neat thing is that you can try it for free!  If you sign up between now and November 15, you can even claim the great homeschooler special of 60% off + 6 bonus months.  That's a great deal on great math.  So, why do we like it so much?

For starters, CTCMath takes the pressure off of mom (or dad) and puts learning in the hands of the student.  An online program, students log in daily, watch a video lesson, and work through math problems based on the video lesson they've just viewed.  There is something here for every student -- from Kindergarten through High School and those who might need a post-graduate refresher as well.  At Long Leaf Academy, we have a bit of both worlds going on.  My daughter is working through the high school required maths (Algebra 2, anyone?), while my son is using CTCMath as a study guide for the ACT.  Seems the Geometry portions of the ACT were harder for him than he thought they would be, so he's reviewing it now for the test in November.

A typical "day" of math with CTCMath finds my students working on their own, in their rooms, at their computers.  The video lesson usually lasts between 8 and 10 minutes (did I mention that the Australian accent of instructor Patrick Murray is quite charming?) and then they print the corresponding worksheet of problems to complete.  This portion can take my kids anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour before they check their work.  What I especially like is that if they don't understand everything and can't work the problems satisfactorily, they have the option of reviewing the video and trying again.  It is absolutely done at your own pace, so there is no pressure to simply "finish."  This gives my crew time to learn so that they are better prepared for what college will bring their way.

Students also have the option to download and print certain PDF files throughout each lesson.  We use these to create a resource section inside of the notebook where they file their daily worksheets.  I like being able to combine the video component with an in-hand notebook of problems.  Call me old-fashioned, but I'm still a pen and paper kind of girl and I like for my kids to have a place where they can see what they are accomplishing.  I've included a picture from Geometry below:


CTCMath offers a full math curriculum for each level of mathematics.  It allows my kids to learn all they need to know about a given subject to receive high school credit and it allows me easy access to check in and make sure they are doing what they tell me they are doing.  The Parent portion of the website lets me see who logs in when, how long they are there, and shows me the mastery level they have reached for each section of their given subject.  In addition, I receive weekly emails in the form of a CTCMath Weekly Report that gives me a Weekly Activity Log for the previous week and shares a Summary of each student's performance from my Family Account.

For more information about making CTCMath a part of your family and learning how it can help your children succeed in math, please visit the following Social Media sites:


And after you've visited those Social Media sites, you'll want to make sure and take advantage of the homeschool discount.  Remember:  It's good through November 17.

CTCMath

Once you've gotten started, let me know what you think.



Crew Disclaimer


I was given the opportunity to review  CTCMath as a member of the Homeschool Review Crew.   You can check out the Crew Review and see what other members of the Homeschool Review Crew thought of this fascinating audio drama (or just click on the banner below.)


CTCMath Online Math Tutoring {Reviews}
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart with me!