Friday, October 7, 2016

Homeschool Review: Everyday Education, LLC #hsreviews #excellenceinlit

Beautiful Handwriting, Literature and Poetry {Everyday Education, LLC}
I saw my first writing handbook when I started college and it was an intimidating thing for me.  We were required to purchase it for English Composition 1 and I didn't care for it at all.  Hard to manipulate and find my way around, I wasn't sure if I would ever actually use it or even how I could use it and I felt completely overwhelmed by it.  Fast forward a few {ahem} years and I'm pleased to have the Excellence in Literature Handbook for Writers (written for both high school students AND beginning college students) by Everyday Education, LLC for my high schoolers to become familiar with now.

Beautiful Handwriting, Literature and Poetry {Everyday Education, LLC}

The Excellence in Literature (Reading and Writing Through the Classics) Handbook for Writers is a massive resource beneficial to both you and your students.  It will help to bridge any gaps that exist in the fundamentals of writing as your students move through high school and into college.  What does that mean?  It can help struggling writers improve their skills and become good writers and it can help good writers become great writers.  With 420-pages, (did I mention this handbook is HUGE?  There are 21 Content pages to direct you where you need to be that make it easy to maneuver around.) the Handbook explains the basic principles of grammar, style, and usage that every writer needs to know and use.  A mechanical reference tool, the Handbook offers hints, tips, suggestions, and examples that help students see firsthand how to write in the real world.   Because in the "real world" there WILL be writing.

The Handbook for Writers covers all of the basics.  Really, truly, it's all in here.  From defining topic sentences and making quality outlines to choosing the correct words and capitalizing and punctuating like a champ, there is something included for every student right where they are.  The section that we are finding most useful at the moment is the one that covers the Criteria for Making Literary Evaluations. The Eagle Scout is studying through this section for hints and helps on better deciphering the questions on the ACT (he'll be taking it again in December) and both he and the Princess are utilizing the criteria set forth as they read the book for this month's Book Club.  We are reading Our Town with plans to see the play after Book Club.  It is much easier for them to prepare for Book Club discussions when they understand the context of evaluating what they read.

Just a note for you:  for purposes of review, I received the Handbook in eBook format, but if you prefer to hold it in your hands and allow your students to explore through the pages, I would strongly recommend purchasing the physical copy of the book.  This is one of those books that I know we'll be using for years and years to come.  It's good folks.  Really, really good.  I'm working on printing a copy for our shelves and placing it in a 3-ring binder.

And as a bit of personal testimony, I was introduced to Janice Campbell (the brain behind Everyday Education) five years ago when my now grad student was just a high school senior and my married daughter was a sophomore.  They both fell right in love with her English 1:  Introduction to Literature and I really could feel/see the excitement as they worked through it.  I was thrilled that Janice was a homeschooling mom like me and had successfully graduated her children.  Just knowing that gave me hope -- and made me feel like I could do this.  Now that I've graduated two and have a senior, I am even more appreciative of what Janice brings to the homeschooling table.  I especially love her heart and reminder to make time for things that matter -- intentionally, everyday.  I'm still working on this one -- intentionally, everyday.

You can find more information about Everyday Education, LLC and learn about other great products from the heart of a homeschooling momma by visiting the following Social Media sites:

(Janice Campbell) Facebook 
(Excellence in Literature) Facebook 

You'll be so glad you did.  Encouragement from someone who has been in the trenches and succeeded is vitally important to us all.  Check it out.




Crew Disclaimer


I was given the opportunity to review Excellence in Literature Handbook for Writers from Everyday Education, LLC as a member of the Homeschool Review Crew.   You can check out the Crew Review and see what other members of the Homeschool Review Crew thought of this and other puzzles as well (or just click on the banner below.)

Beautiful Handwriting, Literature and Poetry {Everyday Education, LLC}
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart with me!