Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Tooting My Own Horn? My Simple Measure of Success

Many days (many more than I care to admit) evening falls and I cannot begin to imagine (or remember) what I did with the sunlight hours.  I don't waste them, I just don't know that what I actually accomplish -- and sometimes it seems like absolutely nothing has gotten done all day.  Does that ever happen to you?  There's a cute little story that often makes the rounds of social media where a husband comes home to a crazy, messy house and he asks his wife "What happened here today?".  Her reply is “You know every day when you come home from work and you ask me what in the world I do all day? . . . Well, today I didn’t do it.”    Yep, that's me.  I'm "doing" but no one is "noticing."

So, for today, I'm just going to make a list of what I do accomplish.  (I like a good list!)  I guess I'm "tooting my own horn" just so that I'm reminded that I'm not invisible.
  1. Animals fed and watered -- inside and outside.  There's a dog and a cat inside, three dogs and five puppies outside.  Just shoot me.
  2. Laundry -- 6 loads completed and there was even a snafu with the dryer.  
  3. Breakfast -- I made sure my kids were fed.  Yay, me
  4. Trying out a new assignment plan for school.  And so far, it's working.  It's simple -- composition notebooks that I wrote the day's tasks in for each child plus little squares so they can check off what they complete.  It gives us all a plan and makes sure that subjects are being done in a timely manner.  I was also able to include some Scripture for them to read through and copy (which helps with Bible Drill) and a few chores each one needs to do to help the family run smoothly.  Did I mention that I like a good list?
  5. Supper -- sausage, butterbeans, and corn are thawing in the sink.  I'm not sure what I'm going to make with the sausage yet, but it will come.  Whatever I decide on, there will be a pan of cornbread to go along with it.  Yum!
  6. Robotics meetings planned for the week.
  7. A bit of Blog Maintenance done -- including scheduling a post or two.  Whoop!  Whoop!  
  8. Chauffeured the Eagle Scout to and from work and the Princess to and from Girl Scouts
  9. Accompanied the MainMost as he served his parents.
  10. Scored two new candles (I go through a TON of candles) on sale at Hobby Lobby.
  11. Finished the day with everyone still intact.  That's gotta count for something.  

So all in all, I'm calling it a successful day.  Toot!  Toot!
How did you measure success today?
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart with me!