Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Old Fashioned {a movie review} #oldfashionedmovie #flyby

I am a sap for a good romance most any day of the week.  The MainMost likes action-packed or futuristic films, but he'll sit and watch a charmer with me when I ask.  I'm picky about what I watch -- and what I share with the family for movie time.  I want a feel-good ending that makes me smile and I prefer movies with no harsh language to assault my senses. I don't care for nudity and I know that love is more than roses, chocolate, and lingerie.  Raising three princesses and a knight is tough work in this day and age and I want to make sure that we set high standards for our children -- watching quality films that promote family values, good character, and guarding your heart help us all focus on what GOD plans for marriage.  With 14-, 16-, 19-, and 21-year-old children, Old Fashioned is the perfect film for family movie night at my house.

Every girl wants to be a princess and she's looking for a knight in shining armor.  Meet Clay and Amber.  He's a man with a theory and she's a woman with a plan.  When Amber rents the apartment above Clay's antique shop, the societal norms of dating and romance are questioned.  Clay has devoted himself to purity and Amber is a bit of a flirt who finds his old fashioned ways intriguing.  But that's not all.  There's definitely a bit of romance, but even more, there's a breath of fresh air watching chivalry make a comeback through old fashioned courtship . . . and honor.

This is a movie that I want my children to watch.  As a mom, I desire for them to see there is more to love than what plays out over the big screen today.  A lifetime of commitment can and should begin before you say "I do."  In a world where modern love is portrayed only as gray, I want my children to see that real love beats red.  JESUS gave HIS all to show us LOVE.  Relationships can be GOD-honoring and "all things can be made new."  That's exactly what we find as we patiently follow the courtship-turned-forever in Old Fashioned.  It's definitely a movie worth watching again and again.


About the movie:
Old Fashioned is a PureFlix Media Film and the DVD Releases TODAY June 16, 2015.  Get your personal copy today (or stop back by for a neat giveaway in a few weeks).

Runtime 115 minutes // Genre: Drama (with elements of comedy and romance) // Rating PG-13 (There are mature-themed scenes in this movie.  The local hangout is a bar, there is a brief discussion when Amber asks Clay if he has had sex, and a bachelor party invites a stripper for entertainment-- but she does not perform and is sent away .  The focus here is realizing that GOD's plan for marriage is always best.)


A romantic-drama, Old Fashioned centers on Clay Walsh, a former frat boy who gives up his reckless carousing and now runs an antique shop in a small Midwestern college town. There, he has become notorious for his lofty and outdated theories on love and romance as well as for his devout belief in God. When Amber Hewson, a free-spirited young woman with a restless soul, drifts into the area and rents the apartment above his shop, she finds herself surprisingly drawn to his strong faith and noble ideas, which are new and intriguing to her. And Clay, though he tries to fight and deny it, simply cannot resist being attracted to her spontaneous and passionate embrace of life. Ultimately, Clay must step out from behind his relational theories and Amber must overcome her own fears and deep wounds as the two of them, together, attempt the impossible: an "old-fashioned" and God-honoring courtship in contemporary America. 

Stay tuned for a follow-up book review (hitting the blog June 30th) of the novelization of the movie and a devotional to help you reclaim romance in your life.  There's a pretty neat prize package giveaway with that review so you'll want to enter.  You can find out more information about this sweet movie, Old Fashioned, by visiting the following Social Media sites:




Because LOVE is patient and LOVE is kind . . .

Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising): Many thanks to Propeller Consulting, LLC for providing this prize for the giveaway. Choice of winners and opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation. I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post.


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart with me!