Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Supper Time, Again?

You know those days when you absolutely cannot go to the grocery store and you've just got to find something at your house to cook because it's supper time, again?  Yep, you guessed it.  It was one of those days around here.

Payday isn't until tomorrow and I've stretched the budget as far as I can.  There's not a lot in the freezer and cabinets, but I knew there had to be enough to make something.  So, after taking a quick inventory, there were three options for tonight's dinner:
  1. Loaded Potato Soup 
  2. Sausage Quiche
  3. Sausage & Rice Casserole
I sent a text to the MainMost and asked which one sounded good to him.  His reply was to surprise him . . . ha.  I am not a big "surprise" person -- and I don't often make decisions easily, so I made him vote for one.  He complied and supper tonight turned out great.  

I scoured the internet for a new recipe or two and our final meal of Sausage & Rice Casserole with Peasant Bread was yummy.  The two complemented one another VERY well and weren't that hard to make.  (That's always a plus in my book.)  I tweaked both recipes with ingredients I had on hand, and I'm pleased with them both.  We'll definitely be making these again.




Sausage & Rice Casserole

1 pound ground sausage
1 chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1 1/2 cups diced celery
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base (This stuff is good, y'all.)
1 can cream of celery soup
1 cup rice

Brown sausage, drain slightly.  Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and red pepper flakes and saute until done.  Add uncooked rice and simmer.  In separate bowl, mix broth, soup base, and soup.  Add to sausage and rice mixture.  Stir all together.  Spray 2 quart dish with non-stick spray and pour in sausage/rice/soup.  Bake at 375 degrees for an hour (or until rice is done).

AND, I added THIS Peasant Bread to the menu.  Y'all know how much I love bread and oh, my stars is this one good.  It's buttery and crusty on the outside and soft and moist on the inside.  I didn't have Kosher salt so I substituted Sea Salt instead.  It turned out just fine.  I highly recommend that you give this one a try.  Isn't it a beautiful loaf?  Good bread makes everything perfect.




Lucky for me, tomorrow night we'll be eating supper at church so I won't have to think about Supper Time again until Thursday.  Luckily, I know I've got a few options ready.

What do you have at the ready for your next supper time?
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart with me!