We need groceries in this house, but I hate to grocery shop. That means supper is what we have on hand. We really love potato soup of any kind, so it was easy to throw tonight's new recipe together. I put it in the crockpot while the kids were busy with history and we've been smelling the tantalizing fragrance all day. The MainMost even declared it his new favorite recipe. Gotta love that one, huh?
Potato and Sausage Soup
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 6 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- chicken broth (enough to cover)-- I used the broth from my freezer but you could easily use a can of broth
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk plus some 1/2 & 1/2 just because I could
- 1/2 pound of Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (but Pepper Jack would have been delicious, too)
- salt and pepper to taste -- which means a LOT for me
- Brown sausage and onion in skillet, drain well. Place cubed potatoes and chopped celery in the bottom of your crockpot. Layer sausage and onion mixture on top. Pour chicken broth over sausage and potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste. (You'll probably want to add more after the potatoes have cooked.)
- Cook on low for 4 - 5 hours until the potatoes are soft. Add milk and Velveeta and let melt. Serve with a big scoop of shredded cheddar on top. We ate ours with crackers, but cornbread or French bread would be good, too. Enjoy.