Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Shipwreck Stew

I have had this recipe for at least 20 years and this is the first time I've ever actually made it.  I can't remember if it was given to me as a young bride or if I found it in a recipe book somewhere, but it's handwritten on an index card tucked in my recipe box.  I used to search through my grandmother's recipes and write down the ones that I thought would be good to make, so I'm guessing it came from there.  I decided to try it, because I need something different.  I'm tired of making the same old-same old.  Do you ever feel that way?

I happened to have everything on hand, so today is the day.  Here goes:

Shipwreck Stew


1 pound ground beef
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup rice
3 cups chopped potatoes
1 can (15 ounce) kidney beans
1 can (8 ounce) tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon worcestershire
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt

Brown ground beef with onion; drain.  Layer ground beef, rice, potatoes, and beans in a large casserole dish.  (I used a 9 x 13 glass dish.)  Combine remaining ingredients with 1/2 cup water in bowl and mix well.  Pour over casserole layers.  Bake uncovered at 350 degreees for 1 1/2 hours.

And it was a hit.  Everyone agreed we will make this again.






I'm joining with my friend, Lisa, over at Home to 4 Kiddos.  It seems she tried a similar version of this recipe before, too.  How fun is that? Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart with me!