Friday, July 4, 2014

Experiencing History Through Music -- a review #homeschool #patrioticsongs

I have had the great fortune of being a part of the Launch Team for Diana Waring's new Experience History Through Music collection this summer.  Oh, how I am blessed.  What a beautiful series to review and share with you -- especially as we celebrate the birth of our country.  I am so excited that these books and CDs are now available for YOU to share with your own family.  You're going to LOVE them.


There are sweet memories that I have of grade school that forever shape who I am.  One of my favorite memories is our once-a-week music class.  I remember going "right around the corner" to the music room and singing my heart out each week.  Mrs. Lynn Weems was our music teacher (I have no idea how I still remember her name other than the fact that we shared our first names) and she was passionate about music.  We sang ballads and folk songs and patriotic marches and through the words and music I truly fell more and more in love with the my country.  I knew this land was my land and I wanted to see it all.

As a homeschooling mom, I've wanted to make sure that my children heard and learned the words to all of the very same songs that I remember so well.  I desire for them to have words and music that their heart cries out for and I want them to be passionate about our nation.  I can think of no better way to fuel their passion than through the music and history presented in Diana's collection.  I have been pleased to introduce them to the stories and music of history in such a fun way.  History comes alive through music -- and my children are better for it.  We all are.

From haunting ballads to energetic dance reels, these folk songs are the ones that grab a hold of you and don't let go.  I love singing along to Oh, Susanna (we used rhythm sticks with that one way back in the day) and tapping my feet along to Sweet Betsy From Pike, but the rendition included of All Night, All Day simply takes my breath away.  Not only is it beautifully done, but it will preach -- especially to this momma who spends nights awake praying over teenagers.  What a fine reminder that GOD's still got this -- and HE is watching over my children continually.

Diana has put her heart and soul into the Experience History Through Music collection and it shows.  This is HIGH QUALITY -- perfect for moms who want only the best for their children.  And isn't that all of us, really?  We've listened to the songs on car rides and throughout the day as we work and play together.  We've hummed and tapped along and been inspired to study more.  My children have picked up the wonderful books just to find out more -- and I've sat and re-read the pages of history myself as a reminder of who we are and where we've been.  Diana Waring's Experience History Through Music collection helps create an atmosphere of continued learning by piquing interest and building excitement.  I like that.  Don't you?

Experience History Through Music contains 3 book/CD sets:


Westward Ho! – Heart of the Old West

America's westward expansion is amazingly rich in stories and songs.  In Westward Ho!, you will find the pioneer spirit that stirred the hearts of thousands of Americans to leave the safety and comfort of home expressed in folk songs of or about that time.  My great-grandmother used to tell me the story of Johnny Appleseed (she even painted him into a picture that now hangs in my living room) and I was delighted to sing along to the Apple Picker's Reel in Westward Ho!, but the Missionary's Farewell just grabs my heart.  Now you can experience the pioneers' adventures, dangers, joys, sorrows and hopes as you join in and sing along with the 14 songs included.  




Musical Memories of Laura Ingalls Wilder 

And who doesn't love Laura Ingalls Wilder?  She's long been one of my favorite historical figures and I've enjoyed sharing her with my children.  The well-loved stories of Laura Ingalls Wilder will come to life all over again as you listen to the 13 songs that were a part of life for the Ingalls and thousands of other pioneering families.  If you've read the Little House books, you'll especially enjoy hearing the song My Sabbath Home, a favorite hymn of Laura.  Written by William Anderson, noted Laura Ingalls Wilder biographer, the book also includes beautiful photos by internationally known Little House photographer, Leslie A. Kelly.




America – Heart of a New Nation

And then there's America.  I absolutely love this book and CD set.  These are the songs that help make me who I am.  From the French and Indian War to the first transcontinental railroad, America is a chronological tour of American history through its music. Enjoy the 16 songs and stories of our past that have been shared from generation to generation—songs that make you laugh, make you cry, and make your patriotic spirit soar.  This lovely book includes that stunning rendition of All Night, All Day that I mentioned earlier.  Oh, my, this is good stuff.  




Each book/CD set retails for $18.99 but the entire set can be purchased together for $50 throughout the month of July as a special Happy Birthday to America. And trust me, you NEED these for your home.  As the name of this series implies, these book and CD sets allow you to truly Experience History Through Music.  Each title contains one book and one CD. The pages of the books hold dozens of historical pictures; bright and interesting stories connecting each of the songs to its moment in history, even sheet music and chord charts! This is PERFECT for my piano-playing, guitar-learning girl.  The CDs are rousing , professional recordings that draw in all listeners. The books are stunning works of art.  The two combine for fond memories and a grand, knee-slapping good time. 


Author of Beyond SurvivalReaping the Harvest and Diana Waring's History Revealed world history curriculum, Diana discovered years ago that "the key to education is relationship." Beginning in the early '80s, Diana homeschooled her children through high-school—the real life opportunities to learn how kids learn.  Mentored by educators whose focus was honoring Him who created all learners, and with an international background (born in Germany, university degree in French, lifelong student of world history), Diana cares about how people learn as well as what they learn.  Audiences on four continents have enthusiastically received her energetic speaking style.  Diana is an encourager extraordinaire and is just all around fun.  I treasure her friendship.  I can't wait to share segments of my interview with Diana soon.  You're going to adore her as much as I do.  

Until then, you can learn more about my friend Diana and get a glimpse of her heart through the following Social Media Links:


Because This Day Has Great Potential -- and music makes it even more fun.  Won't you join me in singing along?




Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart with me!