Tuesday, April 8, 2014

A New Twist on an Old Favorite

When my oldest was born, several ladies from our church family blessed us with supper in the weeks following her birth.  We ate better then than we had ever eaten before.  My friends went all out with salad, main course, bread, and dessert.  It was deliciously wonderful.  I enjoyed their sweet visits AND their yummy food.  It was comforting for this new mom to have friends who had "been there/done that" stop by to share in my learning curve, hold my baby so I could eat, and love me through those early days of adjustment.

One of my favorite meals was Chicken and Rice Casserole lovingly delivered with a yummy salad.  I remember the salad had blue cheese on it -- and I had never tasted blue cheese before.  We had actually never had Chicken and Rice Casserole before, either, and quickly fell in love with it.  I remember asking my friend for her recipe the very next day and eagerly adding it to our supper rotation when I was back on my feet.  It has always been such a comfort food to me -- and really to us all.  It's one of the very first recipes that each of my children learned to make all on their own.

With a full day planned out of town, I tried a new twist on that family favorite today.  And it was a winner. Although not quite as creamy as my original version, it was still delicious and I know we'll be making this one again. And the very best part?  It was made in my crockpot and ready when we arrived home after a busy day.  That's my favorite kind of cooking, for sure.

Crockpot Chicken and Rice Casserole

Place ingredients into crockpot in this order:
1 stick butter
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
1 can Cream of Celery Soup
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 1/2 cups rice (uncooked)

Stir soups and rice together.

Place chicken breasts on top of the rice and soups mixture.
Turn crockpot on low.



When we returned home, my kitchen smelled divine.  I heated a loaf of bread made by my sweet friend, Emily, made a gallon of sweet tea, and called the crew in for dinner.  It was as simple as that.

Delicious
I'll definitely be keeping this recipe around for busy days when we need a little comfort.

Enjoy . . .



I'm linking up with my friend Lisa at Home to 4 Kiddos.  Hop on over and try a new recipe today.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart with me!