Thursday, November 17, 2011

Math Mammoth

Photobucket


I don't know why Math is such a hard subject for us around here. I was a fairly good math student in high school and college and the MainMost was an electrical engineering/math major in college -- so you KNOW he had LOTS of math! He even taught high school math for two years when we first got married -- before he went all techie on me.

Even with that, math has been the one subject that we struggle with the most.  We've tried several different curriculums for each of the kiddos -- trying to find the one thing that works best for their given learning style.  With the three oldest, we seem to have found it.  With the Princess, I've searched high and low to find something that holds her attention (you know she has the attention span of a fly!) and keeps her actively involved.

Enter our latest blessing!  We were recently selected to review Math Mammoth.  When I received word that we would be reviewing it, the first thing that I did was go online and print the placement tests.  They are timed tests to help determine where you child's understanding of math is and to see where you should begin your studies.  BUT we threw caution to the wind and did not time the Princess.  I just let her work at her own pace to see what she knew how to do.  Once she finished the placement tests, we were ready to begin!  The Princess and I began using the Light Blue Series Curriculum -- a full year of math ready to print and go.

SO, how does it actually work at our house?  Instead of printing the ENTIRE curriculum at one time (this would completely overwhelm my Princess), I have been printing it out section by section.  We sit down each day and work through just a section at a time.   This way, the Princess can physically SEE her accomplishments and she is proud of her work.  She is on the way to catching up on the math deficit she's had!

Math Mammoth offers a variety of options to help your children excel in Math.  Whether you need an entire curriculum or prefer individual worktexts that focus on certain topics only (such as telling time using a clock, geometry or multiplication), Math Mammoth has something for everyone.  Primarily geared towards children in the 1st - 8th grades, Math Mammoth also offers some higher level work in the Make It Real Learning Series (you know, for all those times your kids ask "WHEN am I ever going to use this stuff?").

Math Mammoth is fully reproducible and VERY affordable.  The full-color worktexts hold my Princess' attention and keep her actively involved in learning.  Math Mammoth requires very little teacher prep for me and provide hours of agreeable work for my student!

Did I mention how completely affordable this curriculum is?  For just $34, you can download PLENTY of work for an entire year of MATH education.  The Light Blue Series comes with two student worktexts and supplemental materials.  (CDs are available if you prefer.)

Photobucket

~~I was given the opportunity to use Math Mammoth Light Blue Series as a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew.  The opinions stated are mine and mine alone.  I was not paid to share my thoughts and feelings with you.  I encourage you to check out the Crew Review and see what other members of the TOS Homeschool Crew thought of  Math Mammoth HERE.~~

 

 

 

  Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. sopa passed congress...

    [...]Your Victoria Royals can be significant youngster hockey workforce enjoying inside Western [...]...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart with me!