Monday, January 31, 2011

Making Times Tables Come Alive

Photobucket

Do you remember the days of writing all of your multiplication facts down, table by table, every morning in school? �I do! �We would start with 0 x 0 = 0 and continue all the way to 12 x 12 = 144. �It was the very first thing we did EVERY MORNING in grade school. �It took forever---or at least it seemed to take forever. � I absolutely HATED writing down those facts and I have been determined to find a different way of teaching them to my children.

I'm not one for rote memorization or "busy work" and have really purposed this year to make school a bit more FUN for the McBlessings. �Through the cartoons and songs of Time Alive!, multiplication facts really have "come alive" in an exciting way for the youngest two McBlessings. � Both my 9-year-old and 11-year-old have used and enjoyed this program as a supplement to their math curriculum. �My son (11) knew his multiplication facts when he started using it, �but he has gained a faster recall--which was my goal for him.

The oldest McBlessings (my high school freshman and junior) have even looked on and taken an interest in the cute stories behind each multiplication fact.   Take a look at this video and check it out for yourself:

[youtube]F35_ZRpRzJI[/youtube]

Students start with a timed Pre-Test to see how much multiplication they already know. After watching groups of videos and listening to the songs, children take additional timed tests designed to see how much they are learning and how quickly they are recalling facts. �There are coloring sheets and printable worksheets to use for extra reinforcement. My son enjoyed the challenge of bettering his previous scores. �My daughter enjoyed coloring the pages that went along with the stories she'd been watching.

PhotobucketThe Times Alive Software will work for ANY child of ANY age who wants to learn (not just memorize) their multiplication facts. �City Creek's Press Times Alive Software is available �for $48.95 here. � Or you can purchase it as an instant download for PC or MAC �if you want to get started NOW. �You and your children can also check out the available demo which includes watching the "8 family" movie, coloring the �6 x 3 =18 coloring page, and taking a sample multiplication test. �We've seen good results using Times Alive Software and I think you will too!



~~I was given the opportunity to use and review�Times Alive by City Creek Press as a member of the�TOS Homeschool Crew. �The opinions stated are mine and mine alone.��I was not paid to share my thoughts and feelings with you. You can check out the�Crew Review and see what other members of the TOS Homeschool Crew thought of Times Alive by City Creek Press HERE .~~ Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart with me!