Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Homeschool Review: The Secret of the Hidden Scrolls (Books #3 & #4) #hsreviews #SecretoftheHiddenScrolls


I love to read and I love to share great books with my friends and family.  Truly, one of my favorite things to do is to sit in "my" chair in the living room with a book in my hands.  It is even more special to me if the ones that I love are sitting nearby with a book in their hands as well.  My husband and I are readers who have intentionally raised readers.  Books have the power to take you to places that you never imagined you could go -- and I have loved travelling back through time to have a first-hand look at several stories from the Bible with The Secret of the Hidden Scrolls series from WorthyKids, an imprint of Hachette Book Group.

You might remember that I was first introduced to these sweet chapter books last year at the beginning of school and I told you that they were perfect for early readers to read alone, but even more fun to use as read-alouds for your entire family.  I still think that's true.  These books are targeted for children ages 6 - 9 on a 1st - 3rd grade reading level, but I just have to tell you that I really enjoy reading them for myself -- and I'm far from that age range.   It is quite interesting to hear about the work of famous archeologist, Great-Uncle Solomon, as he shares his greatest treasure with the children -- ancient Hidden Scrolls that prove to be even better than a pile of gold.   The Hidden Scrolls take the children on a journey of epic proportions


What I especially like is that these books take you deep into Bible times through an imaginative time travel adventure.  Last year I jumped right into the creation of the world (Book #1) and then helped line up the animals as they were loading onto Noah's Ark (Book #2).  This year I've stepped over icky frogs and walked through the Red Sea on dry ground following Moses to the Promised Land (Book #3) and hidden at Rahab's house and seen the walls of Jericho come tumbling down with Joshua (Book #4).  It's most wonderful to be a part of the escapades of Peter and Mary (the brother and sister team who take us along on their adventures) and their pet dog, Hank as we are transported right into the middle of GOD's Word.  The Secret of the Hidden Scrolls series puts you right into the center of the action of the stories from the Bible as you work to solve the secrets found on each new scroll.  Kids will enjoy trying to "crack the code" found on the mysterious scrolls for each book and will love digging into the adventure bag that helps solve the mystery.  Parents will love that each book ends by telling you exactly where in the Bible you can find the people, places, and events that have taken place in your reading.  Perfect, huh?  




The Secret of the Hidden Scrolls: The Great Escape (Book #3) is 120-pages divided into twelve chapters.  Book #3 begins as 9-year-old Peter and 10-year-old Mary await the call of the Hidden Scrolls.  It doesn't take long for the lion to roar and transport the children to the deserts of Egypt.  The children explore pyramids and meet a princess and are invited to stay in the home of Pharaoh.  As luck would have it, this gives them a front row seat to the arrival of Moses and Aaron as they implore Pharaoh to let GOD's people go.  The plagues come to life as you read the story.  It is simply amazing.



The Secret of the Hidden Scrolls: Journey to Jericho (Book #4) is 120-pages divided into thirteen chapters.  Book #4 finds the children returning on another quest of the Hidden Scrolls.  They first learn that Great-Uncle Solomon was not always an archeologist and that he spent some time as a spy with the International Spy Agency.  They learn that GOD had a secret name that HE revealed to Moses at the burning bush and they are fascinated.  When they hear the call of the lion's roar, Peter and Mary add some spy equipment to their adventure bag and head out, landing right in the inner sanctuary of the Tabernacle.  On this adventure, they join Caleb as he spies on Jericho and are present when the walls begin to crumble. 


As always, these books are a fascinating explanation of Scripture and I can't wait to share them with the children in my life.  Each of these books offers a fresh perspective on GOD's Word and make it easy for children of all ages to understand that the BIBLE is relevant to all of us all of the time.  You can read more about WorthyKids, an imprint of Hachette Book Group and this fascinating new series, The Secret of the Hidden Scrolls, by visiting the following Social Media sites:


You can also check out my review of the first two books in this series and see what we thought of both The Secret of the Hidden Scrolls: The Beginning (Book #1) and The Secret of the Hidden Scrolls: Race to the Ark (Book #2).  These are still some of my very favorite books and I think your family will enjoy them immensely.   I can't wait to get my hands on the next book in the series -- The Secret of the Hidden Scrolls:  The Shepherd's Stone (Book #5).  How much fun is this!



I was given the opportunity to review The Secret of the Hidden Scrolls from WorthyKids, an imprint of Hachette Book Group as a member of the Homeschool Review Crew.   You can check out the Crew Review and see what other members of the Homeschool Review Crew thought of these great books (or just click on the banner below.)


The Great Escape & Journey To Jericho {WorthyKids Reviews}

Crew Disclaimer




Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart with me!