Friday, August 10, 2018

The Nest

Earlier this summer I was totally enamored with watching the sweet babies in the nest on my front porch.  I'll never forget the morning that I woke up and they were beginning the preparations to leave the safety of the nest in the Peace Lily plant.

When I walked outside that day, there were four little heads sticking out of the nest as mama and papa chirped nearby.


Within just a few minutes, they had all perched on the perimeter of the flower pot.  I knew they were working up their nerve to make the first flight and I spent the next 30 minutes or so watching them take off.


They remained under the watchful eye of their parents who waited nearby with continual encouragement.  I watched until I could no longer see them and I returned back to an empty nest on my front porch.  It still rests right where they left it.  I can't bring myself to move it.  There is such symbolism in that nest for me.


The entire process has been a great reminder to me of my role as a parent.  We have nurtured and provided a safe haven for our children.  We have prayed over them and loved them and tried to prepare them for life.  I know that they can't stay in our little nest forever.  I know that the day comes when each must find their way in the world.  I pray that we have offered encouragement and provided the map they need to become who GOD intends for them to be. 

Yes, I know they all must eventually leave and soar on their own wings, but I pray that they know the nest will always await their visit.


But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.  Isaiah 40:31
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart with me!