Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The Simple Woman's Daybook -- {August 11}





For Today . . . {Tuesday, August 11, 2015}


Outside my window . . . liquid gold streaming from the sky.  Oh, how we need this rain.  It's been so HOT and so HUMID and my trees were beginning to curl up and shrivel away. 


I am thinking . . . about wedding invitations, a mother-of-the-bride dress, the guest list for her bridal shower, reception food, and wedding decor.  It's getting close and I'm feeling a bit of a panic.  


I am thankful . . . for rain and air conditioner.


I am wearing . . . as little as possible.  That sounds a bit risque, right?  The truth is -- It was 101 degrees here yesterday with a real feel of 114 degrees.  The heat index is unbelievable.  We are under an extreme heat advisory that has forced the cancellation of soccer practice -- and for the most part, anything else that requires you to step outside of the air conditioned house.  Shorts and t-shirts/tanks are the proper attire for most anything.  Flip flops are the only shoes imaginable.  My favorite light blue linen dress helps keep me cool as well.  


I am going . . . on a field trip with my FTC Robotics team, Blue Crew, Too.  We are headed out today to see how an idea becomes an actual product for sale in the store.  The team will get to see first-hand how important it is to design well, document, and implement.  


I am wondering . . .  how to keep my family close with one daughter off at grad school and one daughter about to be married.  


I am reading . . . through and preparing for a review of the HCSB Apologetics Study Bible for Students.  I'll come back and link my review for you later this week.  


I am hoping . . . for a money tree to begin to grow in my back yard.  


I am learning . . . to reinvent.


In my kitchen . . . there's not much being done.  It's simply too hot to cook (and my oven is broken so . . .).  I do have a small countertop convection oven on loan from my Mother-in-Love that will cook a mean pan of biscuits.  I'm mostly offering up salads and bread or using my crockpot for the few family meals we are eating.  The crockpot is still my all-time favorite kitchen helper.  

The Eagle Scout is anxiously awaiting cooler weather because he says he's ready for soups.  In a Forrest Gump moment the other day, he started listing all of his favorite soups that I make:  Hambone Potato Soup, Crawfish Chowder, Country Potato Soup, Chicken & Corn Chowder, Hamburger Vegetable Soup, Taco Soup, Loaded Potato Soup, Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup, Hearty Bacon Potato Soup . . . do you see a trend here?  Ha!  We like soup.

My mom sent me a new recipe last night that looks yummy.  I'll definitely be giving it a try as soon as the weather changes.  



Cajun Corn & Shrimp Bisque

1 large onion
3 cans (16 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
2 lbs. peeled shrimp
3 Tablespoons butter
2 cans (14 ounces each) of chicken broth 
1 1/2 cups of Half & Half
1 block (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
3 Tablespoons cornstarch (mixed with 1/2 cup of cold water)
Cajun Seasoning

Peel onion and puree.  Semi-puree one can of corn and one cup of shrimp.  (This will help set a flavor throughout the bisque.)  

In a large pot, melt butter and sauté onions.  Add one Tablespoon of cajun seasoning and the block of cream cheese.  Cook until cream cheese melts completely -- making sure there are no lumps.

Add chicken broth, half & half, shrimp and corn.  Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Mix corn starch and water (for thickening of bisque).  Pour mixture into pot, continue stirring until mixture thickens.

While the pot is simmering, adjust the seasoning to taste.  This is a spicy bisque and should have some bite to it.  Add 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons of cajun seasoning until dissolved.  

Serve with loaf of French bread and a salad.  

This kind of soup is right up our alley.  I'll definitely be making a pot of it in the fall.  I think it would be good with crawfish, too.  We might try it both ways.  YUM!


In the homeschool room . . . we are gearing up for a new school year.  I've been busy buying supplies (binders, paper, erasers, glue sticks, note cards, pens, and pencils) and putting notebooks together for both the Princess and the Eagle Scout.  I've been working on curriculum and lesson plans and getting it all together for a good start in the coming weeks.  I'll be posting a complete listing of our curriculum choices for 2015/2016 in September.


A favorite quote for today . . .  The battle for our hearts is fought on the pages of our calendar.  ~Bob Goff



****************************

Thanks for stopping by!



I'm joining The Simple Woman's Daybook for the first time ever.  Check it out. Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. When your money tree grows in your backyard, could you send me some seeds!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart with me!