Friday, September 14, 2012

Reminiscing with Soup

The weather has gotten a tad bit cooler so I'm beginning to think about our fall foods.  I'm one of those that likes to eat soups and chilis and other comfort foods during the fall and winter.

The Boy Scout was in charge of our Monday night meal and he had ham on his menu.  He likes ham, but the REAL reason he put it on his menu is so that I would make Hambone Potato Soup.  He REALLY LIKES that and now that it's cooler I certainly didn't mind.

The entire time I was cooking it, though, I couldn't get my mind off of my grandmother.  How I miss her.  Mama Pete was so much more than my grandmother.  She was my friend and companion.  I used to talk to her daily -- two or three times a day, actually.  For so many years she was the first person I talked to each day.  She would call every morning just to check in and see how we all were.

One of the things that Mama Pete liked best of all was soup -- and potato soup was one of her favorites.  I have several potato soup recipes and every time I made any of them, I made sure to take her a big bowl.  Such sweet memories for me.  Oh, how I wish I could take her a big bowl of tonight's soup.

I think this recipe was the one she liked best.  She always told me it reminded her of HER MOM's soup.  As a result, it will always be one of my favorites.

Easy Hambone Potato Soup

6 - 8 potatoes, peeled & diced
1/2 onion, finely chopped
3/4 cup cooked ham, chopped (I use whatever is left on the ham bone)
3 1/4 cups water
2 cubes Chicken Bouillon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground white or black pepper
5 Tablespoons butter
5 Tablespoons self-rising flour
2 cups milk

Boil ham in water in stock pot for about 15 minutes.  Remove ham from water and chop in small pieces.  Add potatoes, onion and ham to pot.  Bring to a boil.  Continue cooking over medium heat until potatoes are tender.  (This takes about 15 minutes.)  Add the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.  

In a separate sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat.  Add flour and cook slowly -- stirring continuously until thick.  (This takes about a minute.)  Slowly stir in milk.  Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens, stirring constantly.  (This takes 4 -5 minutes.)

Add the milk/flour mixture to the stockpot.  Let entire pot heat through.

Add grated cheese to soup bowl.  Serve with hot, buttered cornbread.  Enjoy.


Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. Our family loves soup, and potato is probably one of our favorites. Our friend thickens hers with white bean puree, it is healthy and really great taste. Wee love having soups for breakfast in the cold mornings too. They give you extra energy and are so warming, especially with a hunk of warm bread or rools.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart with me!