Saturday, September 22, 2012

Caramel Apple Oat Bread

I ordered a bushel and a half of apples and they have arrived.  All the way from an Amish farm in southern Illinois, my apples have found their way home.  I got 1/2 bushel of red delicious, 1/2 bushel of golden delicious, and 1/2 bushel of Jonathan.

We really do like apples around here and the kids starting eating immediately.  But a bushel and a half of apples is a LOT of apples  -- too many for them to just eat.  So today begins my learning to cook with apples and I am excited.

I have Caramel Apple Oat Bread in the bread machine as I type.  I can't wait to taste the hot loaf when it's ready.  Here's how I'm making it:

Caramel Apple Oat Bread

1 cup water
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

2 Tablespoons butter, softened  (I'm using REAL butter for this recipe.)
3 1/2 cups bread flour

3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup apples, chopped and peeled  (I used one red delicious and one Jonathan apple.)
2 Tablespoons cooking oats

Add all but last two ingredients in the order listed to your bread machine.  Add apples and oats for second kneading cycle.  This makes a regular 2 lb loaf.  Cook on light crust.

It smells delicious.  I can't wait to try it.

Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! Thanks for sharing this. I changed it a bit since we don't have a bread machine. Ours is baking now and smells delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart with me!