Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Best Part of Waking Up -- Mom Memories

My mom is a nurse.  I guess it's the one thing she always wanted to do.  When I was in High School, she worked the midnight shift in the local Emergency Room.  She took care of people at their very worst -- and their very craziest.  {She is still nursing today -- taking care of people at their very lowest points in life.}

As she was coming home from work to crash for the day, I was getting ready to walk out the door to begin my day at school.  The house that we lived in was cold.  Actually "cold" doesn't even begin to describe it.  It was *F*R*I*G*I*D*  -- bottom line.

One of my very favorite memories was sitting in front of my long mirror -- the one that had belonged to my grandmother -- putting on my makeup, doing a final review for a test, and my mom bringing in the most delicious grits in the South.  Many times she would come home from work and head straight into the kitchen to fix us breakfast before we left and she headed to bed.  Those grits, warm and buttery, would be the most welcome food in the world.  Grits just have to be America's comfort food.  

I still remember the bowl and spoon of my childhood home.  I still remember the melted butter in the dish of yum -- a little black pepper floating on top.  I mostly remember those special few moments of encouragement before I walked out the door to face my mission field.  Thanks, Mom!

My children don't walk out the door for school, but I still hope for them to have good memories and comfort.  Here's what's cooking in my kitchen right now:

Our Favorite Breakfast Casserole 

1 tube crescent rolls
1 pound sausage
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1 cup cheddar cheese (plus another handful for good measure)
4 eggs
3/4 cup milk (I really used 1/2 cup milk and 1/4 cup 1/2 and 1/2 today)
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  
Spread crescent rolls in greased 9 x 13 pan -- making sure to press seams together.  Cook sausage, drain  and crumble over crescent rolls.  Sprinkle cheese over sausage.  Combine eggs, milk, salt and pepper.  Stir until blended and pour over cheese and sausage.  Bake 15 minutes until done.  Enjoy!

It's fresh out of the oven and time for Long Leaf Academy to begin.  The best part of waking up -- time together with my family.  

I'd love to read about your favorite family meals.  Won't you share them with me?

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart with me!