Monday, December 13, 2010

Math Success with ALEKS



I am always looking for just the right thing to bring S*U*C*C*E*S*S into our homeschool and I have found it with ALEKS!  Math has continually been the biggest struggle for our family--which is unfortunate since the MainMost began his career as a math teacher.  What started out as everyone's favorite subject has become increasingly frustrating for the McBlessings over the years.  We have tried four different types of curriculum in an attempt to find one that "fits" and challenges and is enjoyable.   Until we tried ALEKS, we had been unsuccessful.

So, what exactly IS ALEKS?  ALEKS is a learn at your own pace, web-based computerized curriculum for math and science.  Designed for 3rd-12th grades, ALEKS stands for Assessment and LEarning in Knowledge Spaces.  I have been using it with both high school level daughters and my 6th grade son.  We started by simply logging in and creating accounts for each child.  I chose which math class I wanted them to start with and ALEKS sent me a login name and password for each one.  The McBlessings began the assessment test for the math level I had chosen and IMMEDIATELY saw results!

After the completion of the assessment test, the ALEKS pie shows the student their learning progress. As they work through problems and learn new topics, the pie slices are shaded in and percentages are given towards mastery of the topic.  Students keep working on the new topics until they have mastered them all.  Each time your student logs in, ALEKS gives them a few review problems from recently studied topics. Periodically, ALEKS gives an assessment test on the problems the student has been studying and moves them accordingly.  I have the option of creating and printing worksheets and quizzes for additional practice and grading.

ALEKS takes the student step-by-step through each math problem. There is no need for a text book or even parental instruction and each week I receive an email from ALEKS detailing what my child has been studying and how they have progressed.  Additional practice and further explanation is offered for any problems the student has missed until the student masters the topic.  AND best of all--it is all presented in a FUN and challenging way that kept my children at the computer for HOURS (literally!).

Watching the pie slices turn dark was exactly the encouragement needed for the McBlessings.  They enjoyed "seeing" how much they were learning in such a concrete way.  My son called me in each day to see "how much my pie has grown" and the oldest daughter worked hard to complete Algebra 1 so that she could move on to Geometry.  She says "ALEKS is awesome and I love it!  It is easy to understand--by far better than anything else I've ever tried.  If I didn't understand something, I just simply read through the next explanation and I got it.  I really got it, mom!  I CAN DO MATH!"  With excitement like this generated over math, I am thrilled to have been offered a chance to try and reviewALEKS.  We've been blessed to find a math program that truly works for us!

ALEKS has generously offered other homeschooling families a FREE 30-Day Trial.  You can access this FREE 30-Day Trial by clicking on the button below.  The website will guide you through setting up your family's account and your children can start immediately.

Visit ALEKS for 1-Month Trial

I HIGHLY recommend ALEKS.  Check it out and let me know if your children have as much fun "filling in their pie" as mine have had.  I know that you will be impressed hearing the excitement in their voices as they master new topics and move ahead in math.

After your Free 30-Day Trial Period has expired, you may continue to use ALEKS for $19.95 per student each month, $99.95 for 6 months, or $179.95 for the entire year.  You can purchase your subscription here.   There is also a family discount available.

~~I was given the opportunity to use and review ALEKS as a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew. The opinions stated are mine and mine alone.  I was not paid to share my thoughts and feelings with you. You can check out the Crew Review and see what other members of the TOS Homeschool Crew thought of ALEKS HERE .~~

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart with me!