Friday, November 19, 2010

Easy School with KBTeachers


The past few weeks have been crazy busy around here with jury duty, pneumonia, holiday preparations and all the many activities of the McBlessings.   Even when life gets wild, school must go on--so you can imagine my delight when I was given an opportunity to review an online "mom's helper" to make school easier.  KBTeachers website offered me an easy way to focus on specific subject areas for each of the kids AND gave them something a little bit different from our norm.  The worksheets and booklets were fun for them to do and a great way to keep us on-track in our season of  busy-ness!

I really did find SOMETHING for EVERYONE on KBTeachers.  My youngest daughter struggles in reading and needs all the practice she can get.  One of her very favorite booklets was an "On the Farm" workset of 5 pages. She could practice reading and comprehension through the pages of farm animals AND she enjoyed the barnyard coloring sheet to pull it all together.  (She simply LOVES to color!)  I also used grammar, math and health pages with her to spice up our daily routine.

My 6th grade son LOVED the "Mummies and Ancient Egypt" worksheets--and I LOVED that they fit right in with our current studies.  We made sugar cube pyramids and he set to work on the Ancient Egypt Web Adventure that took him on his very own expedition with cool pictures, fun facts and colorful maps.  I was able to print many grammar and math worksheets for him as well that were wonderful reinforcements for concepts that he needs a little extra practice on.  I especially liked that he could sit and do those worksheets on his own--with very little help needed from me!

For my high school Freshman, the Human Anatomy and Nutrition worksheets went hand in hand with the required Health class she is currently studying.  The pages on "The Brain" were especially helpful in preparing a research project for her robotic LEGO League team.   The LEGO team will be presenting a proposed solution to an issue someone with epilepsy might face.  Because she has epilepsy, this project is dear to her and she has spent a great deal of time explaining to her team what happens in someone's brain when a seizure occurs.

My high school Junior found much help in the Social Studies section of the KBTeachers website.  The Global History Worksheets fit right in with her World History course; BUT her favorite part of the website was in using it herself!  She became the "teacher" and used the Thanksgiving Seasonal section to create an entire "busykit" for her youngest sister.  We'll be travelling next week for Thanksgiving and thanks to KBTeachers (and my oldest daughter!), the youngest McBlessing will have something fun to do on the way to grandmother's house.

I appreciate the ease of preparing for school on days when life goes crazy. KBTeachers offers a great tool to do just that!  I also appreciate that most worksheets offered me a choice of printing in either full color or simply black and white.  Some of my children enjoy the full color pages, while some of them are distracted by it and prefer the black and white pages.  I further enjoyed the ability to generate multiple worksheets for the same concepts when extra practice was desired and utilized the emailed newsletter that gave me a heads-up on what was being added to the website.

We also were able to put the KBTeachers website to use in a fun way that was not "strictly educational" in the formal school setting.  The Boy Scout is working on his Signaling Merit Badge and got great use out of the Morse Code message generator.  Likewise, the oldest Girl Scout was able to use the Sign Language message generator to help her teach her little Brownie Girl Scouts and help them earn their Senses Try-It Badge.   Fun stuff!

The Premium Membership to the KBTeachers website is $29 per year or $49 for two years and they offer a 10-day FREE trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee.  Many of the worksheets can be used for free right now, so I recommend checking them out and seeing how you might can put them to use in your home education environment today.

~~I was given the opportunity to use and review KBTeachers as a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew. The opinions stated are mine and mine alone.  I was not paid to share my thoughts and feelings with you. You can check out the Crew Review and see what other members of the TOS Homeschool Crew thought of KBTeachers here.~~ Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. I discovered KBTeachers website in Aug. of this year and signed up for it. I am a big FAN! I had used Enchanted Learning and several other sites in the past that seemed to be geared for younger grades, but KBTeachers offers something for all ages!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your heart with me!